It is necessary to carry out the treatment of lichen in the sphinx under the supervision of a specialist, because the wrong actions of the owner can aggravate the situation. In addition, it is difficult to diagnose correctly yourself and it is not always possible to determine the disease by the “photo”. Lichen therapy is carried out in 3 directions:
- Antifungal systemic therapy.
- Local therapy. It works less efficiently than in humans. This method of treatment is used as an additional one to avoid damage and contamination of the environment with spores. Treatment of the affected areas and washing of the animal with drugs helps:
- solution of sulfuric lime;
- solutions and shampoos of miconazole;
- terbinafine solutions;
- clotrimazole sprays and creams;
- chlorhexidine solution.
Diseases of a hygienic nature
- Microphthalmos. This is a congenital defect of the eyeball, it is reduced in size. As a rule, this pathology occurs due to an infection suffered during pregnancy. Pathology, as a rule, leads to a decrease in vision and is treated exclusively surgically.
- Curvature of the tail. With this disease, there is a pathology of the bone system. As a rule, this is a congenital defect, very often kittens with such a congenital defect have an underdeveloped intestine and a dwarf appearance. The reason for this anomaly is closely related crossing.
Allergy in the sphinx
If you want to get normal kittens, you need to carefully study the entire pedigree of the family so that they do not have such a disease in the genus at all.
- Vasculitis. This is an inflammatory process that occurs in the vessels, it can appear in all cats. However, kittens of this breed are more susceptible to this pathology. The disease manifests itself to the formation of spots on the very surface of the skin. Depending on the type of vasculitis, the spots can be small red or large cyanotic. In some cases, the spots may combine or disappear without a trace. The reasons for this phenomenon are different, in order to determine the problem, you need to contact a veterinarian.
- Hyperplasia of the nipples. Usually, such a disease is inherited by small kittens from their mother. Sometimes the cause of such pathology may be the improper use of medications. The nipples of such animals increase in volume, swell and hurt a lot. A cyst may form, females often give birth to poor offspring, this is due to concomitant diseases. Since the mother is not able to breastfeed kittens, they have almost no chance of survival.
Diagnosis of acne
It is important to understand that not all black dots on a cat’s skin are acne. Often, the inflammatory process can be confused with the same “flea houses” (eggs, nits) of ectoparasites (fleas, lice) deposited near the root of the hair almost on the surface of the skin; signs of lichen or demodecosis, insect bites, etc.
Therefore, before starting acne treatment, cats must be scraped from the affected areas of the skin and sent to the laboratory for research, where a laboratory assistant will already use a microscope to conduct a differential diagnosis. It may be necessary to make a bacteriological culture to identify the microbial pathogen – practiced in the case of purulent complications of acne.
How pregnancy and childbirth proceed
Sphinx cats perfectly tolerate the entire pregnancy and give birth on their own, they have an excellent instinct, which is very valuable. Kittens are born full-term, grow well, and also develop. Naturally, in order for the pregnancy to be successful, it is necessary to take care of the cat from the first days, then the birth will take place without complications.
Here are some tips for preparing for childbirth
- In order for your kitty to produce healthy kittens, it is necessary that the birth takes place in comfortable conditions. Therefore, as soon as the kitty has a pregnancy, you need to take care of her birthplace. You can prepare a cardboard box and cover it with a sheet to make it more comfortable for kittens to be there.
- If the birth is already close, it is necessary to prepare the necessary things that will be useful to you, this is a heating pad, it will need to be filled with warm water, a second diaper, sterile scissors. Even if the cat’s pregnancy passed without problems, childbirth can still be complicated, so you need to be prepared for everything.
- If you notice that the cat began to eat poorly and hide in inaccessible places, know that pregnancy is already in the last term. Perhaps this behavior indicates contractions in a cat. Therefore, if you notice that the animal does not behave as usual, it is better to be safe and try to move it into a box. But you need to do it carefully and carefully so that the animal is not scared, otherwise she will not give birth there.
What should the air temperature be in the house where the Canadian sphinx lives?
The general rule is to take into account your comfort level. If you are comfortable enough in the house to walk naked, then sphinxes, as a rule, are also comfortable. If you are wrapped in a sweater or lying under a blanket to keep warm, the sphinx will lie next to you :). During the year, the temperature in the apartment / house should be within 20-25 ° C.
If the sphinx really freezes, then it will look for a place to warm up, for example, on a TV or computer monitor, under a blanket or blanket, on a windowsill under the rays of the sun, by a battery or heater, etc. In pet stores you can buy heated sunbeds, which are very popular with Canadian sphinxes.
In summer, in the heat, it’s worth thinking carefully before turning on the air conditioner, since the sphinx can easily catch a cold.
Why do I need to sterilize and castrate an animal?
Recently, you can often find in a veterinary clinic such a concept as: planned sterilization / castration of an animal. But not everyone knows what it is and why it needs to be done. If the owner is not going to breed, does not want problems during the estrus of the cat, then sterilization in this case will be the best option. The same applies to cats, if the owner does not want offspring, then castration will get rid of many problems, for example, after surgery, the male’s libido decreases, and he becomes calmer.
Among other things, sterilization, according to some veterinarians, prevents the occurrence of breast tumors. The possibility of the appearance of pathologies of the reproductive system is also excluded.
Alopecia is a rapid loss of hair. The cause of psychogenic alopecia in domestic cats is neurosis resulting from environmental changes (change of residence, new owner, appearance of a new family member or pet in the house, etc.).
Most often, this disease occurs in emotional breeds: Siamese, Himalayan, Burmese, Abyssinian, but it also happens in completely mongrel individuals. Externally, the disease manifests itself as baldness in the groin area, on the abdomen, sides and inner thighs, along the dorsal midline. There is no redness or crusts on the bald areas.
In the treatment of psychogenic alopecia, the main thing is to eliminate or minimize stress.
Acne, pimples and other manifestations in cats
Did you know that this breed can have acne during puberty? This is due to the sebaceous glands of the animal’s skin, most often pimples can be seen on the back, abdomen and tail, it is possible to manifest on other parts of the body. Hereditary factor is the main reason for the appearance of these rashes. The so-called risk zone includes: blue, red and cream color.
This breed has another health problem, many kittens of this breed often have watery eyes. It can be either a simple allergy to something, or an infectious disease. To determine why the animal’s eyes are watering, it is necessary to contact a veterinarian. In such a breed, an infection is often common, like conjunctivitis, with her eyes watering very often. In this case, long-term treatment and constant prevention of the animal is required.
Allergies can also manifest themselves, for example, on household chemicals. Dust, as well as pollen from plants, cannot be excluded either. In the long-haired variety of the breed, allergies can occur due to the long coat. Since allergies can manifest from many causes, you should seek help from a specialist who will help you understand this issue.
The mechanism of acne appearance
The development of the pathological process is directly related to the violation of metabolic processes in the skin, specifically with perverted keratinization (a complex biochemical reaction with the formation of fat, amino acids and keratin, which give the dermis strength and elasticity) and improper functioning of the subcutaneous glands.
Normally, the deadened upper stratum corneum of the epithelium is constantly peeling off, giving way to a newer and younger one. In pathology, normal detachment does not occur, and old cells are mixed with new ones, creating mountains of scales glued together with a greasy secret.
Naturally, such a pile of cells will sooner or later lead to clogging of the pores, which is externally manifested by black subcutaneous dots. By the way, acne can be white, usually this phenomenon is observed when the “plug” is deep inside the pores and does not come into contact with air.
What do sphinxes suffer from?
Hairless sphinxes are now quite a popular breed of cats. Despite their apparent fragility, they rarely get sick, due to increased body temperature. Most often – hereditary diseases.
Causes of diseases
First of all, this is, as already mentioned, heredity. Heart disease, myopathy, airway obstruction – unfortunately, sphinxes are genetically predisposed to all this.
As for other diseases, cats are usually infected with them from sick animals, through direct or indirect (using the same care items, feed as infected animals) contact, parasites or even humans. Sometimes hormonal disorders play a role.
Also, a dependence with color was revealed – blue and blue-cream cats are sick most often.
Diseases and symptoms
Sphinxes, like other cats, are very patient and do not come to the owner to “complain”. Therefore, you need to carefully monitor the appearance of the following symptoms:
- lethargy and exhaustion;
- loss of appetite;
- weight loss;
- diarrhea or constipation;
- blood in the bowel movements;
- atypical behavior – aggressiveness, anxiety.
All these can be symptoms of a number of diseases, including:
- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a heart disease that can lead to sudden death;
- hereditary myopathy is a muscle dysfunction that causes muscle weakness;
- airway obstruction – loss of the ability to swallow food.
There are diseases that are easy to notice by external signs:
- cystic hypertrophy of the mammary glands – the development of mammary gland tumors;
- vasculitis is an inflammation of the walls of blood vessels, in which spots appear on the skin of the sphinx with a possible subsequent transformation into ulcers;
- microphthalmos is an abnormal development of the eye when it is underdeveloped, but still exists, the consequence of which is poor vision or even blindness;
- nipple hyperplasia is a deformity of the nipple with the possible development of a cyst;
- acne – the appearance of blackheads;
- shortening of the lower jaw is an anomaly of the bite when the rows of incisors are not combined, which makes it difficult to eat;
- congenital inversion of the eyelids – inversion of the edge of the eyelid and eyelashes inward, while redness and lacrimation are observed.
Diagnosis and treatment
Many diseases of sphinxes are diagnosed by visual examination. If we are talking about lesions of internal organs, then standard tests are prescribed for such cases – a blood test, X-ray, ultrasound.
Most often, medication is prescribed – antibiotics, ointments, serums. But doctors have to resort to surgery, for example, in the case of nipple hyperplasia, when the tumor has to be removed.
Alas, some diseases of sphinxes are incurable and their relapses may occur, or the normal condition of the animal must be maintained with medicines.
First of all, for the prevention of diseases of sphinxes, it is necessary to vaccinate cats in time, not to allow contact with infected animals.
Once a week, cats need to be bathed or they may develop skin diseases and do not forget to remove the secret secreted in the ears. Also, once a week, animals need to clean their teeth.
Sphinxes are affectionate and friendly pets that are the joy of any owner.
The Otodectes ear mite parasitizes the animal’s auditory passages often due to improper care. The disease is manifested by severe itching, scratching, an unpleasant smell from the ears and dark gray discharge. The skin in the affected areas turns red, the body temperature rises, the animal constantly shakes its head and scratches its ears. Because of the unbearable itching, cats can scratch themselves huge wounds behind their ears.
The progression of the disease is fraught with inflammation of the outer ear, which is able to move to the middle, which in turn is dangerous for imbalance. In such a situation, the animal will constantly keep its head on one side. Sometimes the infection reaches the parotid space, provoking severe inflammation.
Treatment of an ear mite includes systematic cleansing of the auditory passages and the use of acaricidal drops.
Learn more about a common disease – cat ear mite.
The sphinx has a rash on the skin
Therefore, it is very sad when they get sick. If you notice symptoms of diseases in your pet, come to us. Our doctors know how to treat these exotic cats and will help you with any problems.
Since birth, kittens of the Don Sphinx breed are predisposed to inflammatory diseases, corneal ulcers, conjunctivitis, scleritis. As soon as the kitten opens its eyes, the coordination system of the animal has not yet been formed. They can injure the eyes on various obstacles and objects.
Glycoprotein (Feld1) is the main culprit of the appearance of allergies. Glycoprotein appears in the saliva of the Don sphinx, because the allergen cannot develop on the coat. An animal’s allergy may appear only on the skin. Cats regularly lick their skin, while leaving a lot of hyperreaction-provoking saliva on their body. The Don Sphinx literally emits allergens that are contained in the saliva, dandruff, and urine of the animal.
Be sure to find out if the allergy is really caused by your pet. It can be caused by household dust, food, flower dust and many others. Remember, allergies are not a reason to give up pets.
Disease of the skin of the auricle. It is not transmitted to humans. A microscopic tick settles in the ear, which is easy to diagnose by the presence of almost black dirt in the cat’s ears. Otoferonol copes with an ear mite. Double treatment with drops with a break in a week relieves the pet’s ears from the tick. If it is not removed, inflammation (otitis media) develops in the ear canal, combs and festering of wounds appear. When processing the cat’s ears, observe the rules of personal hygiene. Although otodectosis is not dangerous for humans, it is not superfluous to treat your hands with an antiseptic.
Skin diseases in cats: symptoms and treatment, description, drugs, danger to humans
It is worth noting that a sick cat is a source of infection and, by releasing pathogenic microorganisms into the external environment, serves as a source of infection of other animals, and sometimes humans. All infectious diseases are characterized by the presence of an incubation period, which most often lasts several days. It happens that when pathogenic microbes enter the cat’s body, visible signs of the disease do not develop and the animal remains healthy, but in some cases it is a source of infection for other animals and humans.
With some infectious diseases, sphinxes can become infected not only from each other, but also from other animal species. Often the source of infection of a cat is a person. Diseases common to animals and humans are called zooanthroponoses.
A sphinx who has had an infectious disease can acquire immunity, which is caused by the accumulation of antibodies in his body and the activation of phagocytes – cells that absorb and destroy microorganisms. Immunity can be created artificially by introducing weakened or killed microbes into the cat’s body. This is the reason for the effect of vaccines used to prevent infectious diseases in animals.
Rabies, or hydrophobia, is an infectious disease that affects the central nervous system and in 100% of cases ends in the death of an animal. The causative agent of the disease is a neurotropic virus localized in the brain, tears and saliva of a cat.
A cat with rabies becomes dangerous to other animals and people long before it shows clinical signs of the disease.
The source of rabies infection is sick animals that secrete the virus with saliva into the external environment. As a rule, infection occurs through a bite.
Symptoms. The incubation period can last from several days to a year, but in most cases, the first symptoms of rabies appear in a cat 3-6 weeks after infection.
As a rule, a violent form of rabies prevails in cats. In the first stage of the disease, called prodromal (melancholic) and lasting from 1 to 3 days, the animal has a rapid change of behavior. The cat is overly affectionate to the owner, then suddenly runs away from him and hides in dark places. At this stage, the animal often feels itching at the site of infection and constantly scratches and licks the wound. After a while, the cat refuses food and begins to swallow inedible objects. Salivation increases sharply in the animal.
Starting from the age of 3 months, sphinxes should be vaccinated against rabies every year
At the second stage of the disease, the cat becomes aggressive, begins to rush at people and animals, bites hard objects. After each outburst of rage, she has apathy and the first symptoms of seizures, manifested in the reduction of the lower jaw and swallowing muscles, and therefore the animal cannot eat and drink. Often a sick cat tries to run away from home.
At the third stage of the disease, the animal has paralysis of the muscles of the trunk and limbs, which leads to death.
The treatment has not been developed. Cats infected with rabies are put to sleep.
Aujeski ‘s disease
Aujeski’s disease is an acute viral disease affecting the central nervous system of an animal. The source of infection is sick cats, including those whose disease occurs in a latent form, that is, virus carriers. In addition, cats are infected with this virus through the meat (pork) of sick animals. Rodents can also be carriers of the disease.
Symptoms. The incubation period of the disease lasts from 1 to 15 days. The first symptoms of the disease are an increase in body temperature to 41 ° C, rapid breathing and pulse, anxiety, as well as loss of appetite. Some animals have apathy, severe thirst and vomiting.
The most dangerous skin disease of cats. The causative agent is a skin mite. When bitten, an inflated red spot forms, wool falls out on the muzzle, bloody spots, pimples appear – clicking on which will provoke an outflow of white liquid with a large number of microscopic larvae. Sulfur ointment, veterinary drugs Stronghold and Advocate cope with demodecosis. You can also use a human shampoo from the StopDemodex series.
For prevention, provide your pet with a balanced fortified diet.